Job Title: System Engineer
Department: Service and Support
Reports to: Services Manager
The System Engineer is a strategic technical position within the organization. This position is responsible for maintaining the design and integrity of customer’s software systems, along with coordinating complex projects. A position of this level will normally involve working in more complex environments -multiple sites, multiple network operating systems, providing solutions that necessitate the use of more complex technologies. Create systems architecture and network design. Design, install, and support server operating system architecture for small and medium sized or enterprise customers. Provide technical assistance and create documented solutions for customers and users. Answer questions or resolve computer problems for clients in person, via telephone or via remote solution. Provide assistance concerning the use of computer hardware and software, including, server access, security, permissions, installation, configuration, operating systems, software applications, file, and print services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- IT support relating to technical issues involving Microsoft’s core business applications, as well as virtual environments built on Microsoft, and VMware
- Design, implementation, andsupport services for Microsoft related technologies: Windows Server, Exchange, SQL, SharePoint, etc.
- Engineer and implement system solutions for customers using technologies that meet their needs
- Implement and support disaster recovery solutions
- Technical services and support at the network level: WAN and LAN connectivity, routers, firewalls, and security
- Remote access solution implementation and support: VPN and Terminal Services
- System documentation and consulting services to include system reviews and recommendations
- Communication with customers as required: keeping them informed of incident progress, notifying them of impending changes or agreed outages
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Improve customer service, perception, and satisfaction
- Ability to work in a team and communicate effectively
- Escalate service or project issues that cannot be completed within agreed service levels
- Business awareness: specific knowledge of the customer and how IT relates to their business strategy and goals
- Develop in-depth knowledge of the service catalog and how it relates to customer’s needs
- Document internal processes and procedures related to duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for entering time and expenses in ConnectWise as it occurs
- Understand processes in ConnectWise by completing assigned training materials and blueprints on the ConnectWise University
- Work through project tickets and phases in ConnectWise as assigned by a Project Manager
- Enter all work as service or project tickets into ConnectWise
- Meet with existing clients as virtual CIO for strategic consultation to ensure we are aligning with our mission
- Utilize our RMM (Remote Monitoring and Management tools to maximize automation of repeated tasks
- Review IT publications and online materials to remain up-to-date with current and future technologies emerging in the industry
Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities Required: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Professional IT Certifications, such as: Microsoft MCP, MCSA, or MCSE, Citrix CCEA or CCIA, Juniper JNCIS, SonicWall CSSA, Cisco CCNA, or VMware VCP
- Interpersonal skills: such as telephony skills, communication skills, active listening and customer-care
- Diagnosis skills of technical issues
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changes quickly
- Technical awareness: ability to match resources to technical issues appropriately
- Service awareness of all organization’s key IT services for which support is being provided
- Understanding of support tools, techniques, and how technology is used to provide IT services
- Typing skills to ensure quick and accurate entry of service request details
- Self-motivated with the ability to work in a fast moving environment
Nature of Work:
Professional work. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of complicated tasks. May lead and direct the work of others. Typically reports to a project leader or manager. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. Works with various clients. Excellent human relations and oral/written communication skills
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Applicant must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
The I.T. Workshop is not currently hiring at this time. If you are interested in future opportunities regarding this position, please fill out the online application and submit. We review all applications with the intent to contact qualified applicants when positions become available.